Thursday, September 17, 2009

On “Inventing the Medium” by Janet H. Murray


The birth of the computer, according to Murray, is a signifier of a completely new mode of thought, a shift in human consciousness. She cites Borges and his Garden of Forking Paths. Also, Vannevar Bush and his infinite and omnipresent library. Both men note the inadequacies of language and linear thought.
Murray makes a point to set up a dichotomy here: one between the humanist (Borges) and the engineer (Bush). The former sees the advances in technology and the exchange of information, and he reacts with uncertainty, discomfort, even fear. He sees contradiction and limitation. The latter, on the other hand, sees potential. He isolates a problem and offers/invents a solution. He does not necessarily consider the consequences of his solution.
Throwing these archetypes – humanist and engineer – into the context of post WWII society, Murray discusses the trajectory of postmodernist thought: obsession with and phobia of technology and its incredible and terrifying potential, awareness of social construction and subsequent deconstruction, self-doubt and loss of faith in meaning, irony, creative ecstasy and chaos.
When Deleuze and Guattari suggested a horizontal model for the organization of information, something snapped. According to Murray, humanists found meaning in interconnectivity, and when the engineers released the first personal computers, middle ground was discovered, and eventually, the internet was born.


Yup. There it is. It occurs to me that I am all over it. You can Google my name, and you will find me. You can find hundreds of pictures of me on Facebook along with my date of birth, gender, sexuality, religious and political views, my favorite movies and TV shows, books, and the list goes on and on. If I had a twitter account, I could share my status with you anytime. I am always accessible. Information flows more readily than water, and for some reason or another, that doesn’t really bother many people my age. It doesn’t bother me. Though, I have to wonder how anyone in my generation will be voted president.

I am confronted daily with the awareness that all human knowledge is available to me all the time. I am also incredibly aware of the fact that I am constantly being advertised to, being told subliminally what to wear, what my body should look like, what food I should eat, how I should perform my gender, my sexuality. I not really sure that any of the sources of postmodernist anxiety ever went away. Social construction is still pretty real. But maybe that’s the beauty of the internet. Just having all information available to me all the time really does seem to undercut any idealized reality that would be socially constructed for me. It’s like, “Here. Here’s everything. Now carve yourself out of it.”

3 comments:

  1. You would think because a large percentage of the US has access to the internet, there would be more ideas on what we should look like, act like, and so on, what you deem social constructions. Why does the media still have such power? But honestly, we are part of the media in our own way, especially in online communities, so we just need to slowly help change these rigid definitions of beauty and such.
    -Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fact that there are so many voices online forces us to turn to what we know. We still have bookmarked pages and stand-by brands that we know and trust. Without some consistency, I would go insane with the infinite number of extended pathways that hypertext allows. Even still, I am shocked and annoyed when I can't find out what I want to know online. As fearful as I am of its infinite nature, I still unconsciously depend on it to be infinite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this constant exposure and access to information is a compelling force of the internet to look at. I mean, whenever I am reading something, talking to someone and want to find out more information I either look it up on my computer or as shameless as it is, use my google application on my phone to instantaneously know me. There's something almost self-empowering about such close proximity and fast access to knowledge (be it accurate or otherwise)

    ReplyDelete