Thursday, October 8, 2009

Augmented Reality


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64_16K2e08&feature=player_embedded

Ok, so I'm pretty sure at this point that subconsciously (or maybe not), we are trying to turn ourselves into cyborgs. I imagine this is actually how we will perceive things in the future. (Or at least this is a prototype for the new perception) I imagine someday, I'll be able to simply look at something and know all about it. Though, as I see it, text won't be involved in the interface.

This is simultaneously wonderful and terrifying.

This actually reminds me of this story I've read. I don't have the book on my at the moment, but as soon as I find it, I'll be updating this post.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that this isn't how we will perceive things in the future. I like "not knowing" everything and still learning as I go. People are often most intrigued by the unknown, and this technology would start to take that away from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really fascinating to think of this purely as an experiment in perception. I dont think I've heard anyone really speak about it like that before. I actually dont see it being very far off to have this "advanced perception" actually integrated into eyeglass or contact lenses or even retrofitted into our eyeballs and have it considered "corrective eye surgery." Some terminator shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linking what Zach just commented to brain scan technology and perception - think of those individuals who rely on that brain scan technology to communicate and have to articulate textually, letter by letter their thoughts, feelings etc. that are mentally visual/subjective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think the time is near. The lines are already less distinctive than people think and soon things like this that we now consider unnatural will become as common as having a telephone conversation.

    ReplyDelete