Thursday, October 8, 2009

On Brain Scan Technology

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it helps the disabled become "more human." And for that purpose, it's absolutely incredible. On the other hand, this IS the beginning of cyborg technology. To link the human brain directly to a computer is a frightening prospect.
I imagine what could happen if the brain had a kind of iPhone function. Where one could think about anything and immediately begin navigating the internet without sitting down in front of a computer. Where it no longer takes anything more than desire and will power to know something. If we had the power to just think about something and know it (to download knowledge instantly), how would this affect the way we think, the way we speak, the way we interact? What would happen to literacy? Or language?
Of course, I couldn't help but consider the creative possibilities. Hook me up to a digital projector or a monitor, and let's see what I can do without my hands.

1 comment:

  1. Totally see Surrogates, the movie. It investigates the different uses of brain scan technology and shows how it can be used towards good and bad!

    ReplyDelete