Thursday, October 8, 2009

On Borges' "The Garden of Forking Paths"

-Concept: a hypertext novel; one that can be read in a number of ways
-Based a theory of the universe around this concept
-Also deals with issues of race, war, espionage, ancestry, and the nature of academic discourse about history
-Borges's concept influenced author Julio Cortazar, who actually wrote a hypertext novel

"...everything happens to a man precisely, precisely now. Centuries of centuries and only in the present do things happen; countless men in the air, on the face of the earth and the sea, and all that really is happening is happening to me."

"I thought of a labyrinth of labytinths, of one sinuous spreading labyrinth that would encompass the past and the future and in some way involve the stars...I felt myself to be, for an unknown period of time, an abstract perceiver of the world."

I'm stuck. I see my future as a series of vague images, colors, laughing, an unclear sense of accomplishment. I'm not sure. How can one be? I heard once that the only things worth holding on to are memories. Though I don't really know that I could hold onto me memories if I tried. My memory curls and fades like smoke. I can't touch it, really. My own memory conflicts with the memories of others with whom I have shared experiences. How can that be trustworthy?
Don't get me wrong. This is not anxiety. I have no desire to escape the present. It has yet to cripple me. To weigh me down to the point of absolute indecision. But human consciousness is limited. Singular. "All that really is happening is happening to me." I believe many things. I know very little.
If I think about it long enough, I can't even be certain of the consciousness of the people around me. And I wonder sometimes if it's just a polite assumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment